School Policy: Mobile phones and Electronic equipment
Renewal Date: 2010
Related Policies and Procedures: Appropriate Use of Mobile Phones, Student Code of Conduct and the departmental policy on Mobile Phones.
This policy relates to the use of mobile phone devices and other electronic equipment.
- Amaroo School provides communication access for students to parents in the case of emergencies. Parents are encouraged to contact the school if they need to communicate with their child during school hours.
- The school strongly discourages students from bringing personal electronic media equipment to school.
- Amaroo School recognises that there may be times when it is genuinely appropriate for students to have access to a mobile phone eg emergency contact with parent/s out of school hours.
- If mobile phone or electronic equipment are used at school they should not be used in a manner or place that is disruptive to the normal routine of the school.
- Parents are asked to ensure that their child understands the legal and social responsibility that is undertaken when using mobile phones.
- The school is not liable in the event of the loss, theft or damage of any device.
Kindergarten to Year 5
Mobile phones are strongly discouraged in the primary school.
Middle and Senior School
- Personal electronic media equipment is discouraged along with other valuable items.
- Personal electronic media equipment is not to be visible or used during class time. " In the building – off and in the bag"
- There may be occasions when a teacher allows students to use MP3 players during class time. This will be at the teacher's discretion.
- The school will incorporate lessons on appropriate mobile phone and electronic device use into pastoral care programs
- Where a student uses a personal electronic media equipment or electronic device inappropriately the device will be confiscated and parents will be asked to collect the device.
Status: Approved by the Amaroo School Board 17 August 2009